7.21.2008

Greetings from Thailand! It was definitely an adventure getting here and within just a few days I have experienced much of Thai culture. I've even learned how to ride a motorbike around town!

The motorbike is one of the main modes of transportation here and I think I've surprised the missionaries and all of Mae Sot with my "motorbiking skills!" I'm sure I get many laughs as people stare at the white foreign girl driving by on her motorbike. Ha! J I was also able to experience a night market here in Mae Sot. We stopped by a vendor where you could buy and eat the LARGEST cockroaches I have ever seen! I could have had my choice of deep-fried cockroaches, worms or beetles….but that is one adventure I had to pass up. I'm not ready to step that far out of my comfort zone!


I have been working here at the Elpis School which is an immigrant school run by a team of 4 missionary women. These women are amazing and I am learning much from them. I am in awe of their courage, wisdom, vision and commitment to their calling. Many of the children at the Elpis School are Burmese children. The government of Burma (Myanmar) is very oppressive and as a result many people escape across the border into Thailand. While the Thai allow the Burmese people to live here, they misuse the Burmese too. Many Burmese are so poor and owe so much money they end up selling their children to Thai "brokers" who in turn sell the children to Bangkok as slaves. The women at the Elpis School have saved many children from being sold.


Much of my time has been spent teaching English and praying for many of the kids. A medical team from California is here examining students. We have been laying hands on and praying for those who are sick. It's been amazing to see God's hand on these little ones! I also had the opportunity to go with the missionaries and the pastor of the church that is connected to the school into one of the nearby villages. We visited and prayed for many of the people who cannot or will not come into town to go to church. We will be visiting two more villages this week.


Since the border of Burma is so close, we will drive across and spend a short time there tomorrow. I also hope to be able to visit a refugee camp in the area. Next Sunday I will be speaking in two different church services. One will be a Thai service and one will be a Burmese service. Please pray that I will be sensitive to what the Lord wants me to say!


Thank you for all of your prayers and support! God's presence has been so real and powerful from the time I stepped on the plane to come. He has been so faithful and I am overwhelmed by His deep, deep love and grace. Each day He shows me something new and I am constantly amazed by what He is doing. I continue to pray that He would make it more about Him and less about me!

Much love,

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment